For the global environment
- Gunze Environmental Charter
- Environmental targets and results
- Environmental Accounting
- Environmental Impact of Business Activities
Aware of our social obligation to preserve the environment, we strive to harmoniously coexist with the global environment as we supply environmentally sound products and services to society.
Gunze Environmental Charter
As part of the global community, we at Gunze are fully aware of our responsibility to safeguard the earth and its resources for future generations. Gunze is a responsible corporate citizen committed to building a prosperous global society that enjoys sustainable development. To support our efforts, we will actively address environmental issues to minimize the environmental impact of our activities and implement necessary measures to improve and maintain the environment. In accepting our social responsibility to help solve environmental problems, we have established a basic environmental philosophy and determined action guidelines.
Basic Environmental Philosophy
By offering environmentally responsible products and services, we aim to contribute to the development of an affluent, sustainable global society. We fully understand our reliance on the gift of nature, so we strive to maintain harmony with the global environment and promote the preservation of biodiversity.
Environmentally Responsible Action Guidelines
- We will direct our efforts toward minimizing the environmental impact of all our corporate activities, considering the impact on biodiversity inside and outside Japan, and the local communities related to our business.
- We will comply with all related laws and regulations, but also will strive to upgrade the level of our environmental management by establishing internal voluntary standards.
- We will promote effective use of resources, including raw materials and energy, aiming to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- We will reduce waste, and promote recovery and recycling for recirculation of resources.
- We will promote research and development of environmentally sound products as well as manufacturing and environmental technologies to lessen the environmental impact of our activities.
- We will implement programs to increase the environmental awareness of our employees, and encourage them to cooperate with and contribute to the environmental preservation efforts of local communities.
- We will advance environmentally conscious practices, and promote the transfer of environmental technologies to our overseas operations.
- We will immediately take action to reduce the damage in the event of an environmental accident.
Environmental targets and results
|Category||Reference year results||FY2016 results||FY2017 results||FY2017 targets||Rating||FY2018 targets||Remarks|
|CO2 emissions (t-CO2)||109,138
|97,563||94,382||96,587||◯||92,966||Calculated using CO2 emissions coefficient for each electric power supplier|
|Waste: Total volume generated||8,297
Self-assessment rating ○: Targets 100% achieved △: More than 90% of targets achieved
As part of environment conservation activities, Gunze releases its environmental accounting data based on the Environmental Accounting Guidelines issued by the Ministry of the Environment. As for environmental conservation costs in fiscal 2017, environmental investments amounted to 281 million yen and environmental expenses were 656 million yen. In fiscal 2017, Gunze invested in system for preventing air pollution and water contamination. Environmental expenses is mainly for labor costs, maintenance and operation fee for related equipment.
Bases of environmental accounting
|Scope of calculations||Gunze Limited, 22 Group companies in Japan and 16 overseas Group companies|
|Period||Gunze and Group companies in Japan: April 1, 2017 through March 31, 2018|
|Overseas Group companies: January 1, 2017 through December 31, 2017|
|Categories||Categorized and formatted based on the Ministry of the Environment's Environmental Accounting Guidelines|
Environmental conservation costs (incl. overseas)
(Unit: millions yen)
Economic benefits associated with environmental conservation activities
(Unit: millions yen)
Environmental Impact of Business Activities
In order to promote harmony with the natural environment, we strive to assess the environmental impact of our business activities and reduce harm to the environment. At the same time, we seek to offer environmentally friendly products and services.
Solar power business
To protect the global environment and harmoniously coexist with nature, the Gunze Group started the solar power business in November 2013, taking advantage of the Japanese government's feed-in tariff scheme for renewable energy*.
|Power plants||Total PV panel area||Annual power output||CO2 emission reduction||Electricity sales launch date|
|Gunze Utsunomiya Photovoltaic Power Plant (Tochigi Prefecture)||Ground-mount: 15,700㎡||1.4 million kWh/year (can serve 300 average households)||770t/year (equivalent to 150 hectare forests)||November 29, 2013|
|Gunze Fukushima Photovoltaic Power Plant (Fukushima Prefecture)||Ground-mount: 9,900㎡, roof: 10,500㎡||1.73 million kWh/year (can serve 370 average households)||940t/year (equivalent to 190 hectare forests)||January 24, 2014|
|Gunze Konan Photovoltaic Power Plant (Aichi Prefecture)||Roof: 4,300㎡||320,000kWh/year (can serve 70 average households)||170t/year (equivalent to 30 hectare forests)||October 28, 2014|
Renewable energy represents energy generated from natural sources such as sunlight or solar heat, wind, water, geothermal heat, and various forms of biomass. This energy is not exhausted and is constantly renewed.
Gunze Utsunomiya Photovoltaic Power Plant
Gunze Fukushima Photovoltaic Power Plant
Gunze Konan Photovoltaic Power Plant
Organic water pollutant (BOD) emissions
ISO 14001 certified sites
|Registered organization||Number of sites in Japan||Name of sites|
|1||Electronic Components Division
|2||Gunze Packaging Systems Co., Ltd. Moriyama Factory||1||
|3||Inner Wear Divisions Group, Apparel Company||5||
|4||Tsuyama Gunze Co., Ltd.||1||Tsuyama Gunze Co., Ltd.|
|5||Moriyama Area Office||3||
|6||Engineering Plastics Division
|7||Fukushima Plastics Co., Ltd.||2||
|8||Gunze Kobunshi Corp.||1||・Gunze Kobunshi Corp.|
|9||Gunze Distribution Co., Ltd.||1||・Gunze Distribution Co., Ltd.|