Gunze’s History of 124 Years
Gunze has been consistently committed to resolving social issues by offering products and services tailored to the needs of the times. Gunze seeks to establish a “one-of-a-kind” position in its respective fields.
Establishment of a silk manufacturing company to contribute to the local community through the development of local industry
When Tsurukichi Hatano, the founder of Gunze, came to know the situation of the local silk farming industry, he was determined to do his part in improving the structure of the industry. Aware of the urgent need to improve the quality of Kyoto Prefecture’s silk worm cocoons and raw silk, both of which had reputations for poor quality, Hatano concentrated on employee training based on his belief that “Good people make good silk yarn,“ thereby making the production of fine-quality products possible.
- Gunze Silk Manufacturing Co., Ltd. established
- Gunze obtained a Gold medal at the Paris World's Fair
- Gunze entered into exclusive supply and distribution agreement with Skinner Trading Company in the U.S.
- Gunze started positive volume trading
- Gunze school for female employees established
Improving people’s lifestyles through rapid expansion of apparel products (hosiery and knitted innerwear) after the end of WWII
The development of rayon in the United States caused a substantial drop in the prices of silk. While searching for secondary processed products that could compensate for the decline in silk sales, Gunze launched the production of full-fashion silk stockings. After World War II, Gunze shifted its focus to the production of nylon stockings, helping promote the spread of stockings among Japanese women through reasonable pricing. Gunze also started the production of knitted innerwear soon after the end of the war. In pursuit of “Golden quality for silver prices.” Gunze explored the “why” as the company sought to ensure superb quality for its products. As a result, Gunze knitted innerwear was coined “national innerwear.”
- Gunze Silk Corporation established in New York
- Full-fashion stocking production launched
- Knitted innerwear production launched
- Thread production launched at Tsuyama Factory
Tackling the challenge as a technology-oriented company through the development of applications for new materials
In response to the rapid growth of the petrochemical industry and expanding consumption of plastics in Japan, Gunze made a foray into the plastic film field. Gunze started with the production of packaging films for its stockings, followed by the development of shrink film tubing in 1962. Afterwards, Gunze developed various new products and technologies by using fluororesin and high-performance resin processing. This helped Gunze expand into the fields of engineering plastics and electronic components. Today, Gunze’s functional solutions business is creating new B2B solutions for a diversity of applications.
- Plastic film business launched
- Ladies' innerwear production launched at Kurayoshi Factory
- Company renamed Gunze Limited
- Pantyhose production launched at Ayabe Factory
- Landscaping and greening business launched
- Gunze set up "Company motto"
- Engineering plastics business launched
- Gunze Sports Co., Ltd. established
- Electronic components business launched
- Medical Development Department established
Presenting new, enriched lifestyle culture through diversified apparel products and multifaceted business operations
As consumer preferences and purchasing patterns diversified, Gunze expanded its apparel product lineups to meet a wider range of consumer requirements. Gunze’s apparel products attracted many loyal customers thanks to their innovative functions and fashionable appeal. At the same time, Gunze redeveloped the premise of its former factory to open a commercial facility. This also helped Gunze create a new lifestyle culture in terms of both clothing and housing.
- “Tsukashin” shopping complex opened as a center to introduce new lifestyle culture
- SOZ division established
- Gunze Museum opened
- “BODYWILD” boxer brief debut sets a new trend in men’s underwear Electronic components division established Engineering plastic division established
- Tsukashin Town Create Limited Established
- Gunze Engineering Limited established
Creating new value by combining the expanding functional solutions business with the apparel and lifestyle creation businesses
Against the backdrop of the rapid aging of the Japanese population and increasing health consciousness, Gunze is concentrating on developing new products designed to create new value in the areas of apparel, plastic films, medical materials, and sports clubs. This is intended to help people enhance their quality of life (QOL). In the sports club business as well, Gunze sports clubs initiated new programs in collaboration with local communities to help lengthen healthy lifespans.
In the landscaping and greening business, Gunze constructed a Gingko tree promenade along Midosuji Avenue in Osaka.
- Medical Division Established
- QOL Research Institute Established
Ayabe Gunze Square opened
- Jeans Casual Dan Limited acquired
- Gunze Medical Japan Limited established
- Gunze Plastics & Engineering of Vietnam Limited established
- Medical U & A Limited acquired
“CAN 20” Medium-term Management Plan
Set the health and medical-related fields that help improve the quality of life of people as the core source of growth, and have each business establish a “one-of-a-kind” position in the industry in its respective field through focus and concentration.
|Key Concept||Focus and Concentration|
|Period||First Phase: FY2014 through FY2016
Second Phase: FY2017 through FY2021
Changes in product portfolio